If there is one thing I have learned in my short time as a Mother, (and believe it or not, I have learned a lot)-- it is this: I don't have this Mothering thing down. Every day presents us with a new challenge. I will do anything though to make sure my son feels loved, secure and confident in himself and me. These little lives we are blessed with and entrusted to nurture, nourish, encourage, love (I could go on.....), are so precious and fragile.
Fragile?, you say. Yes, fragile. My two (almost three!) year old is, on the surface, tough. That little heart however, is so tender and easily broken. A misplaced word, a lost car, getting out of the bath **water!** too soon, a poorly timed look.....all things that lead to a sad little dude.
We may not be able to control the placement of the hot wheels, how soon the bath water gets cold or how often Jake comes on TV, but we can control our actions and our words.
Encourage the positive. No matter how small.
You're eating with your fork. That's fantastic!
Look at you picking up your toys. Wow I'm so proud of you.
Hey kiddo, great job saying please when you asked for a book. I love your manners!
Woah! You're so strong. You got on that stool and down all by yourself.
Engage.
When you talk, squat or have them sit on your lap so you are at eye level.
Touch when you talk. It creates security, confidence and self awareness.
One on one time. Children crave our love, acceptance and time. We are valuable commodities in their world.
Give options.
This one is pretty straightforward. My son loves picking out his own clothes and helping choose what is for dinner. By giving choices, you're saying "Your opinion matters to me."
Be kind. Be honest.
I'm sure we've all heard this but it couldn't be more true. The way you talk to your child now will become their future inner voice.
I make it a point never to lie to my son. No matter how small or "white" the lie may be. Yes, there is chocolate in this house but it is bedtime so no, you may not have any. Trust goes both ways.
Hug. Kiss. Snuggle. Play.
Please! All of the above and more.
No parent is perfect, least of all me. But I certainly try to follow my own advice. Oftentimes, I lose my way. I pick myself back up, brush off the negativity and remind myself that my son needs all the good he can get. He deserves it. It not only makes my son feel good, it also makes me proud.
Every day brings with it the possibilities to do and be great things for your family.
No comments:
Post a Comment